Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Last Day of School


In Ghana, the last day of school was typically called "Our Day!" It was usually a day of feasting and games, when teacher's straps (canes) lay still and forgotten. Why, one could even dress-up for the occassion. In boarding school where most of us spent our high school years, the night before the morning was when we held our midnight feast, then in the morning we cleaned house and waited for our parents to pick us up for home. This June, my son Wynne reminded me when his last day came. The last day of high school, the final day of exams. I could hardly believe it. So fresh were my memories of preschool and the first day of kindergarten. These days he hardly wakes up with enough time to eat breakfast, so we always have breakfast bars, all kinds, to pick up and go. The next thing I knew, the door was open, "Bye Mom,". In the nick of time, I found the camera. I rushed outside with it and said, "Wynne, stop. Say 'bye' again". Then snap! It was an historic moment, made just for Moms. He is due for university. I think he wants to get away from home and find himself, mainly. These days he is thinking about happiness, wondering if he ought to take a year out and pursue his dreams of producing hip- hop. What would I do if I were his age? I went to school to achieve my dreams, granted they were my parents' dreams as well, but I ended up achieving subconcious dreams. I'm still hoping I have the power to achieve all the dreams I ever dreamt. At 17 which path should one take, with the whole world at one's feet?
You can hear Wynne's beats and music at http://www.myspace.com/eardrumaticsbeats

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find coming from our african conservative background, it is difficult to allow your child to follow certain dreams which might not coincide with your conservative plans for them. Especially when it is not what you would think is a "proper way to make a secure living". But I have also discovered that when you have a real passion for something, no matter what it is and you do it well, you will be successful. Success may be subjective in this context. While one may have achieved what they set out to do and are satisfied with the outcome, "observers" may be worried as we say back home, about what they think you should be doing and how your life should turn out. Just some food for thought. My take on this is, if you are passionate about your dreams and have the drive to make things happen, go for it so that you won't look back with regret someday and say "I wish I had..."